The Sacramento City Library (also known as Central Branch) was built in 1918 based on designs by Loring P. Rixford. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 30th, 1992. The library is haunted by an unseen entity. In the Sacramento Room, the sound of shelving moving, books being pulled out, and rustling Mylar have been heard coming from no apparent source. Books have also been known to disappear and reappear from the shelves. The glass doors close by themselves.
John Hart Crenshaw was an entrepreneur in the salt mining industry during the early 1800s in southern Illinois. Due to the dangers of mining the mineral, he struggled to find labor for his mines. Slavery was illegal in Illinois, but one small loophole in the law made it possible to “lease” slaves; Crenshaw did just this. However, he started kidnapping freed men and women and runaway slaves, either putting them to work in his salt mines or up for sale.
In 1817, John Hart Crenshaw married Sinia Taylor, and started building her a better home in the 1830s. He names the three-story mansion Hickory Hill. Unbeknownst the outside world, however, was a secret passageway that allowed for wagons to bring slaves directly into the house, as well as a tunnel that connected the basement to the Saline River to unload slaves brought by boat.
The Linda Vista Community Hospital opened in 1904, and it featured its own miniature “farm” of cows, chickens, and a garden in order to provide the patients with fresh butter, milk, eggs, poultry, fruits, and vegetables. The original building was designed by Charles Whittlesy and opened under the name Santa Fe Coast Lines Hospital. It was razed and rebuilt in 1924, and, in 1937, was renamed the Linda Vista Community Hospital.
Fort Jefferson (named for President Thomas Jefferson) began construction in 1846. The already existing lighthouse on the island remained with in the fort’s walls up until it was demolished in 1877. A massive design, the fort featured two sides that measured 325 ft. and two walls that measured 477 ft. Heavy guns were mounted onto the sides of Fort Jefferson’s walls.
Slater Mill was built in 1793, with the original portion being six bays long and two stories tall. Being modeled after cotton spinning mills found in England, Slater Mill was the first water-powered cotton spinning mill in North America. It utilized the Arkwright system of cotton spinning, which was developed by Richard Arkwright.