Cheesman Park

During the late 1800s, the property of land that now serves as Cheesman Park was a graveyard known as Prospect Hill Cemetery (which opened 1858), located near the land that is now the Denver Botanical Garden and Congress Park.

The Whaley House

The Whaley House was the residence of Thomas Whaley and his family. It also served as Mr. Whaley’s general store, the second county courthouse in San Diego, and the first commercial theater over the years.

Old Town Tatu

Old Town Tatu, a tattoo parlor in Chicago, Illinois, is said to be one of the most haunted places in the United States. Founder Rich “Tapeworm” Herrerra once instigated a fight with the ghosts that were believed to haunt the parlor, and he challenged them to a fight to the death. Herrerra died just three weeks later in the building.

The building used to be the Klemundt Funeral Parlor in the 1920s (some records say it was the funeral parlor in the 1880s). The ghosts of the bodies who came through the funeral parlor as well as Herrerra are known to haunt Old Town Tatu. Herrerra’s friends have reported feeling his presence.

Lemp Mansion

William J. Lemp attended the St. Louis University, being able to afford his attendance by using the riches brought in by his father. After graduating, he worked at the brewery but went on to form a partnership with a different brewing company. By the 1860s, Adam Lemp had forty breweries in the caves along the Mississippi River. In 1861, William enlisted in the United States Reserve Corps, where he attained the rank of Orderly Sergeant. He eventually married Julia Feickert. Seven years later, William’s father-in-law Jacob Feickert, who had lived in the area all of his life, built a house near the brewery, a property that William would later buy in 1876 to use as an auxiliary office and residence: the thirty-three-roomed Lemp Mansion.

In 1884, the radiator system was installed – only half a decade after radiant heat was patented. An open-air lift was added in place of the grand staircase. A tunnel was added to connect the mansion through the caves to the brewery.