The Western Lunatic Asylum opened in 1825 as a hospital to treat the insane. In 1905, Dr. Joseph Dejarnette, a believer in eugenics, took over and renamed the asylum the Dejarnette Center. Dejarnette became abusive, and he tortured many of his patients. In 1996, the Dejarnette Center shut down.
Though the owners of the abandoned asylum’s property are extremely strict about trespassers, a few have actually gotten in. Those who have entered have reported a large black cloud hovering above them. Some photographs even depict said cloud. The story goes that one patient became so uncontrollably insane that he massacred several doctors, nurses, and patients. It was forced to close down afterwards, as things weren’t quite the same.
Over the years, Anoka State Hospital has gone by many names – First State Asylum for the Insane, Anoka State Asylum, and most recently Anoka-Metro Regional Treatment Center (its current name). Built in 1898, it opened two years later in 1900, where it would serve as a patient-transfer hospital for the next fifty years.
The Cedarcrest Mental Asylum is located just off the Berlin Turnpike, and it is surrounded by a wooded area. The sounds of screaming and door slamming can be heard coming from the old, defunct hospital.
The Pratt Greenhouse was abandoned shortly after a fire that damaged part of it. The 204-acre estate used to belong to Harold Irving Pratt, who was the son of the oil magnate and philanthropist Charles Pratt. On the property, the estate includes a Georgian-style mansion, a former recreational building that is currently being used by the Nassau County Holocaust Committee, and several other small service buildings.
The Buffalo State Hospital, also known as the “Buffalo State Asylum for the Insane”, “H.H. Richardson Complex”, “Buffalo State Lunatic Asylum”, and “Buffalo Psychiatric Center”, was built in 1871 with two medieval-style towers under the name Buffalo State Asylum. The appearance of the hospital has been compared with that of Danvers State Lunatic Asylum.
Ospedale Pedagogico di Aguscello (also known as the Ospedale Psichiatrico Infantile di Aguscellois) is haunted by the “insane” children who used to live at the hospital. The nuns that worked there are believed to have tortured the patients, and there are some on-site graves suggesting that they killed them.
The Manicomio Montedale (an alias to protect the real location translating to ‘Asylum Montedale’) was built in 1907 as an Italian insane asylum. The government purchased 100 acres of land to build the hospital, which was going to be used to relieve the intense overcrowding at the small, local asylum. Despite being opened in 1910, most of the buildings were built during the 1930s.
The insane asylum in Dunwoody, Georgia is haunted by the patients who were abused there. Paranormal activity includes a cool breeze coming through a room without windows, ghosts of dead bodies lying in the morgue trays in the basement’s morgue, feeling presences behind you, and footsteps descending the stairs. Rumor has it that the hospital was torn down and turned into a skate park, but it is unconfirmed.
The insane asylum used to have claims of disembodied footsteps, moaning, and mysterious blood on the floor. One of the ghosts believed to haunt the hospital is an elderly man. The Raytown insane asylum has since burned down.
The Michigan State Sanatorium’s construction began in the city of Howell in 1906. By September 7th of the following year, the sanatorium started admitting patients. From 1909 and 1930, the hospital grew from 16 beds to 500 beds in just 21 years. At that time, tuberculosis (also known as consumption and the white plague) had ravaged the United States, leading to millions of deaths as the result of the epidemic. Once antibiotics were developed, the death rate dropped significantly. Thusly, the hospital admitted patients with mental disabilities and was renamed to the Howell State Hospital. The name was changed again in 1978 to the Hillcrest Regional Center for the Developmentally Disabled.
The Boston Psychopathic Hospital, also known as the “Massachusetts Mental Health Center”, was built on a piece of land near Fenwood Road in November, 1909. The location was only five minutes away from the Harvard Medical School, where the psychiatrists were being tought. Appointed in 1910, Dr. Elmer Ernest Southard was to be the director of the hospital as well as the supervisor of its construction. The asylum opened on June 24th, 1912 as the Boston State Hospital.