Wildwood Highlands in Yucaipa, California is an enormous mansion where four sisters lived. Fredrico, the pool boy, became extremely jealous when the oldest sister began dating the gardener, Pedro. One night, he snapped and decided to stab each of the four sisters. He then proceeded to throw them from the top bedroom window into pool located below.
A carpet bagger during the Civil War, Captain Leeper was a cruel man who would beat, shoot, and sometimes hang African-Americans. While they were his preferred targets, he would do the same to anyone who opposed his railroad that was being built. When the time came that he was on his deathbed, he had to be tied down due to the fact he kept screaming he was being attacked by demons.
Originally, the mansion was owned by its builder, Shelton C. Fogus, who was a wealthy building merchant in Sacramento, California. Leland Stanford, who was an upcoming politician of the Republican Party and the president of the Central Pacific Railroad, bought the house in June, 1861 for $8,000; this was only a short while before the election that would result in his governorship. The Stanford Mansion was his home as well as the state’s executive office. After his two-year term, Frederick Low and Henry Huntly Haight took the mansion respectively. Due to the flooding from the Sacramento River, Stanford had to attend his inauguration via rowboat in 1862. This led to the house needing to be raised twelve feet above ground level, as flooding was rather common. An additional two stories were added and the what-was 4,000 square feet large mansion (370 square meters) was expanded to a massive 19,000, becoming a four-story, French-design inspired mansion.
The Litch family, who was extremely prominent in the timber and lumber industry during the mid-1840s, built a mansion on the hill overlooking North Fort Creek. In addition to the luxurious mansion, they owned a smaller summer home about 1/4 of a mile away from it.
The John Dickinson House, which is sometimes called Dickinson Mansion or Poplar Hall, is located in Dover, Delaware within the John Dickinson Plantation. The house served as the home of John Dickinson, the mansion’s namesake who spent his boyhood in the mansion.