Orchard House

The Alcott family moved to Concord in 1840, but left in 1843 in order to start Fruitlands, a utopian agrarian commune in Harvard. In 1845, the Alcotts returned to the house and named it “Hillside”. However, they left again by 1852 after selling it to Nathaniel Hawthorne, who renamed it “The Wayside”. Five years later in 1857, the Alcott family returned, and bought another property in May of the following year.