The Manicomio Montedale (an alias to protect the real location translating to ‘Asylum Montedale’) was built in 1907 as an Italian insane asylum. The government purchased 100 acres of land to build the hospital, which was going to be used to relieve the intense overcrowding at the small, local asylum. Despite being opened in 1910, most of the buildings were built during the 1930s.
The insane asylum in Dunwoody, Georgia is haunted by the patients who were abused there. Paranormal activity includes a cool breeze coming through a room without windows, ghosts of dead bodies lying in the morgue trays in the basement’s morgue, feeling presences behind you, and footsteps descending the stairs. Rumor has it that the hospital was torn down and turned into a skate park, but it is unconfirmed.
The insane asylum used to have claims of disembodied footsteps, moaning, and mysterious blood on the floor. One of the ghosts believed to haunt the hospital is an elderly man. The Raytown insane asylum has since burned down.
The Clinton Insane Asylum has had reports of strange lights at night and a woman standing in the window. It is believed that if you turn your car off, it will have trouble starting back up. Not much is known about the hospital other than this. It later became the VA center in Clinton.
The Michigan State Sanatorium’s construction began in the city of Howell in 1906. By September 7th of the following year, the sanatorium started admitting patients. From 1909 and 1930, the hospital grew from 16 beds to 500 beds in just 21 years. At that time, tuberculosis (also known as consumption and the white plague) had ravaged the United States, leading to millions of deaths as the result of the epidemic. Once antibiotics were developed, the death rate dropped significantly. Thusly, the hospital admitted patients with mental disabilities and was renamed to the Howell State Hospital. The name was changed again in 1978 to the Hillcrest Regional Center for the Developmentally Disabled.
The Boston Psychopathic Hospital, also known as the “Massachusetts Mental Health Center”, was built on a piece of land near Fenwood Road in November, 1909. The location was only five minutes away from the Harvard Medical School, where the psychiatrists were being tought. Appointed in 1910, Dr. Elmer Ernest Southard was to be the director of the hospital as well as the supervisor of its construction. The asylum opened on June 24th, 1912 as the Boston State Hospital.
The Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum (which is also known as the “Armand Auclerc Weston State Hospital”) was built under the standards of the Kirkbride Plan. In the 1850s the Virginia General Assembly authorized the hospital. In order to build such an asylum, they consulted Thomas Story Kirkbride, the man behind the Kirkbride Plan as well as the superintendent of the Pennsylvania Hospital for the Insane.
Peoria State Hospital (which has also operated under the names “Bartonville State Hospital,” “Peoria Asylum,” the “Illinois General Hospital for the Insane,” and the “Illinois Asylum for the Incurable Insane”) opened as an insane asylum operated by the State of Illinois from 1902 until 1973. The asylum has a total of 47 buildings on its grounds.
Lying only 600 feet from the border leading into the United States is the Dorea Insane Asylum of Franklin, Quebec, Canada. According to a former patient, the asylum contained an electric chair used to execute patients that were thought of as “unmanageable”. Labyrinths of tunnels located beneath the facility that lead to Lake Placid are said to be part of Dorea.
Not much is known about the Alameda Insane Asylum, and the operation time of the asylum is amongst the unknown. However, it was easily over one hundred years old when it burned to the ground in 2009. The asylum closed sometime during the 19th or 20th century. All records as to who owned it have seemingly been lost in time.
The asylum has been nicknamed the “haunted insane asylum” due to its number of ghost stories. When it was opened as a mental hospital, patients were abused, tortured, beaten, and murdered, and they were treated overall very poorly. Many suicides occurred in the basement, most of them via hanging.
Loud screams could be heard within the hospital itself after the hospital closed for good. Presences could be felt, and ghostly faces would appear in the windows. The spirit of a young boy used to be seen running through the corridors, and blinds, curtains, and drapes would be moved on their own. Several spiritual residents have been known to appear at the Alameda Insane Asylum.
Sadly, the piece of history was lost when a fire burned it to the ground in 2009. Firefighters were able to put out the blaze, but not soon enough to save the building. No lives were lost, but the area remains haunted by the souls of those who did die in the facility when it was used.
In 1932, the California government purchased 1,760 acres of land in Lewis Ranch in order to build the Camarillo State Mental Hospital. The hospital was used from 1936 to 1997. It was the pioneer in treating illnesses that were thought to be untreatable, such as developing drugs and therapies for schizophrenia and dealing with autism (being one of the first hospitals to deal with it).
Camarillo’s patients were not criminally dangerous; those who were were sent to Atascadero State Hospital. In January 1996, California governor Pete Wilson announced plans to close the hospital in the July of 1997. Members of the community, family members of the patients and employees, and the employees of Camarillo made efforts to keep the hospital open.
Several of those advocates attempted to convince the hospital to accept mentally ill criminals as a way to save Camarillo, but many people were against the idea out of concern that they would be too dangerous and would escape. In the end, Governor Wilson did not listen to them and continued to close the hospital in June 1997, a month earlier than planned. Patients were relocated to other hospitals.
The location was planned to be turned into a university by 1998. However, it took four years longer than expected and didn’t open until 2002. Now, it is the California State University, Channel Islands (CSUCI). It is believed to be haunted by those who died at the hospital.
Atascadero State Hospital – abbreviated to “ASH,” for short – was opened in 1954 as a state-run, self-contained forensic psychiatric center, designed to house the criminally insane. The patients are sentenced by the Superior Court, Board of Prison Terms, and the Department of Corrections. Throughout its history, it has garnered a reputation for violence among inmates.