On the 19th floor of the building in Pioneer Plaza, a woman was murdered. Now, her shadowy figure can be seen walking along the halls, most likely looking for her killer.
Originally, the mansion was owned by its builder, Shelton C. Fogus, who was a wealthy building merchant in Sacramento, California. Leland Stanford, who was an upcoming politician of the Republican Party and the president of the Central Pacific Railroad, bought the house in June, 1861 for $8,000; this was only a short while before the election that would result in his governorship. The Stanford Mansion was his home as well as the state’s executive office. After his two-year term, Frederick Low and Henry Huntly Haight took the mansion respectively. Due to the flooding from the Sacramento River, Stanford had to attend his inauguration via rowboat in 1862. This led to the house needing to be raised twelve feet above ground level, as flooding was rather common. An additional two stories were added and the what-was 4,000 square feet large mansion (370 square meters) was expanded to a massive 19,000, becoming a four-story, French-design inspired mansion.