Hickory Hill (The Old Slave House)

John Hart Crenshaw was an entrepreneur in the salt mining industry during the early 1800s in southern Illinois. Due to the dangers of mining the mineral, he struggled to find labor for his mines. Slavery was illegal in Illinois, but one small loophole in the law made it possible to “lease” slaves; Crenshaw did just this. However, he started kidnapping freed men and women and runaway slaves, either putting them to work in his salt mines or up for sale.

In 1817, John Hart Crenshaw married Sinia Taylor, and started building her a better home in the 1830s. He names the three-story mansion Hickory Hill. Unbeknownst the outside world, however, was a secret passageway that allowed for wagons to bring slaves directly into the house, as well as a tunnel that connected the basement to the Saline River to unload slaves brought by boat.

Windigo

Windigo in Savoy, Massachusetts opened during the 1980s, and it is believed to be haunted by the spirits of six young girls and a woman. Legend has it that one of the camp’s councilors had gone insane, hanging three girls in a barn and drowning another three in a tub. After her rampage, she proceeded to commit suicide. Odd paranormal activity now surrounds the camp and the adjacent Winsor State Forest.

Cuba Middle School

The Cuba Middle School’s gym is purportedly haunted by the spirit of a man named Joe Beisly. A former janitor, he fell off of a ladder to his death. His apparition is said to appear if his name is repeated three times.

Theatre Guild of Webster Groves

The Webster Groves Theatre Guild is believed to be haunted by the spirit of a little girl. There, she is playful, enjoying tricking people during rehearsals; she roams around the upper portion of the theatre. In the basement, there is the ghost of an elderly woman that is said to frighten the little girl.

Southwest Miami High School

The Southwest Miami High School was opened in September 1956 as the Southwest Miami Junior Senior High School. It wasn’t until 1959 that the school converted from a grade 7-10 school to a high school. The auditorium was the site of one confirmed death – a student fell from the catwalk to their death shortly after the school opened.

Among the happenings there are TVs and lights turning on and off by themselves, the disembodied sound of a woman laughing, and objects being moved by an unseen force. In one case, a glass door spontaneously exploded in front of a group of people, leaving many witnesses to the odd occurrences at the auditorium.

Devils Elbow

The road nicknamed “Devils Elbow” is said to be haunted by demonic spirits. There is an apparition of a woman in white with glowing red eyes carrying a crying baby. While driving on the road, drivers often experience their headlights dimming or their car dying entirely.

Around 15 years ago, a man was murdered along Devils Elbow, though the road was haunted long before the tragic crime. Locals theorize that the evil spirits may have been behind it.

White Oak Cemetery

White Oak Cemetery is said to have an odd white mist that hovers above the graves all day. Apparitions and odd noises have been reported as well.

Saint James Church

The Saint James Church has an odd fog that surrounds it at night. Inside, there is a mysterious light that appears when no one is inside. Adjacent to the church is a small cemetery; those who drive by temporarily have scrambled radio and cell phone signals. It was demolished in October 2003 after two local teens set the structure on fire.

Camp Lulu

Camp Lulu in Brownsville, Texas was opened as a summer camp for young children. However, the nice getaway quickly turned sour after a counselor went insane and proceeded to rape and kill the girls. Now, the sounds of girls crying can be heard at night. The property owner works to preserve the souls of the young girls and shoots at anyone who trespasses.

Poor Farm in Greenfield, Pennsylvania

Before the poor farm was built, there was a house on the same spot. During the Civil War, it was used as part as the Underground Railroad and was later converted into a nursing home. However, the building burned to the ground. The nearby intersection was nicknamed the “Four Corners of the Spiritual World”, as there were four corners with four different locations that seemed to make up the setting of most of the town’s inhabitants’ lives.

On one corner, there was a carnival that would take place, which residents would visit before going to the church, located on another corner. When they got old, they would go to the poor farm, on a third corner, which was proceeded by the fourth and final corner – the cemetery.

One day, the owner of the house asked his neighbor to keep an eye on it while he was gone – he never returned. Eventually, the house was sold, and the new owners made plans to renovate the place. While working on it, the construction crew was troubled by hauntings, and they were forced to walk out on the job. The owners then came to the decision to build a new house slightly behind the old location.

The poor farm is home to both benign and malevolent spirits; the most sighted evil spirit is a shadowy man who runs atop the building.  On some nights, apparitions of rooms that don’t exist anymore appear. The paranormal activity is heightened by the local witches who practice their craft nearby.

Orpheum Theatre in Memphis, Tennessee

The Grande Opera House was built in 1890 on the corner of Main and Beale Street, and was deemed “the classiest theatre outside of New York City”. In 1907, it became part of the Orpheum Vaudeville circuit, which prompted the theater to be renamed the Orpheum Theatre. For nearly two decades, vaudeville remained popular and successful, drawing in large crowds.

Tragedy struck when twelve-year-old Mary was killed in an accident outside of the Orpheum Theatre in 1921. Two years later, a fire broke out during a show with singer Blossom Seeley, and the theater burned to the ground. It was rebuilt on the original site of The Grand in 1928 at the cost of $1.6 million. It was double the size of the old theater, and it featured new decorations and a Wurlitzer pipe organ.

In 1940, the Orpheum Theatre was purchased by the Malco movie theater chain, where they presented first-run movies. The theater remained in use until 1976, when Malco sold the building. Demolition was in store for the Orpheum, as there was talk of building an office complex in its place. However, the Memphis Development Foundation purchased it the following year, and they brought Broadway productions and concerts back to the theater.

On Christmas, 1982, a $4.7 million renovation project began to restore the Orpheum Theatre to how it looked back in 1928. A grand reopening took place in January 1984. Having survived all of its bankruptcies, a disastrous fire, and the threat of demolition, the Orpheum rose above it all to become a premier performing arts center. Called “The South’s Finest Theatre”, it presents more Broadway touring productions on an average annual basis than any other theater in the country.

Actor Yul Brynner, who was reputedly very psychic, saw the apparition of Mary, dressed in a 1920s style dress, sitting on the balcony in her favorite seat (CF). This was during the time that “The King and I” was playing – a play that Brynner was acting in. Cast members of “Fiddler on the Roof” spotted her in the same seat, seemingly enjoying the show; on opening night, a few of the actors and actresses held a séance on the balcony and actually made contact with Mary.

A woman and her fellow theater-goers witnessed Mary’s apparition, whom they described as “a 12-year-old girl in an old-fashioned white dress dancing in the lobby”. Before their eyes, she appeared and subsequently vanished. Mary also made her presence known to a theater workman and a housekeeper. While she never made an appearance in either situation, the workman described the sensation of her presence as a “cold, eerie feeling, like getting into a bathtub of cold liver”. As for the housekeeper, she played pranks on him by taking his tools and throwing them in the toilet.

Other workmen reported seeing a theater door burst open in an outward direction, then proceed to shut itself without the assistance of a living person or wind. Late one night, a repairman was working on a malfunctioning organ. He became frustrated and decided to take a coffee break. Having locked everything up, he was surprised to find upon his return that an unseen entity had fixed the organ.

On a different night, the night watchman accidentally locked up a vagrant man in the 5th-floor gallery. The watchman was startled when he heard the sound of a terrified scream and footsteps running down five flights of stairs in the total darkness. The homeless man burst through the front doors, knocking them off their hinges. It is unknown what he saw that frightened him. In another instance, the theater’s alarm went off, and police with canine units arrived to investigate. The highly trained dogs refused to enter the building, unwilling to budge as if they sensed some sort of presence that the human handlers didn’t.

Cry Baby Bridge

When a woman thought her two children were possessed by the devil, she drove them to Cry Baby Bridge to kill them. She drove over the bridge, killing both she and her kids. Witnesses report that if you park your car atop the bridge, roll down your windows, and honk three times, children’s voices can be heard yelling “Don’t do it, mother!”