Constructed in 1903, the historic Royal Hotel served miners, railroad and timber crews, travelers, and ranchers on the Wolcott Stage line. It served a number of other purposes while in operation, including the Yampa Leader newspaper’s headquarters, a hospital during 1919’s flu epidemic when the local hospital could not accommodate the number of patients afflicted, a boarding house for school children during the winter months, a school gymnasium, a drug store, a post office, a family dining room, a general store, an upholstery store, and apartments.
Prior to operating under the name “SOAARR,” the facility served as a rehabilitation camp for teenagers and adolescents struggling with substance abuse. Today, the site is abandoned and harbors an apparition who runs past the window. The identity of the spirit remains a mystery. Inside the building, visitors reported experiencing cold spots.
Currently abandoned and overrun with plant growth, the Jessie Creek Cemetery is located near the Circle Mountain and infamous Haunted Hill just outside Bartlesville, Oklahoma. It resides in an open field near a small defunct lawn-and-landscape business. Due to the obscuring vegetation, the cemetery is difficult to spot when driving past it. Those who do manage to visit report having technical problems with their digital cameras, possibly because of ethereal activity.
Bethany Beach is haunted by a ragged-looking military spirit in tattered clothing that roams along a stretch of the shore. Though uncertain, it is believed that the ghost is Eddie “Fast Eddie” Rickenbacker (b. October 8th, 1890), an Air Force/Army hero from World War I who died of pneumonia in Switzerland on July 23rd, 1973.
Secor Cemetery (previously named the Xenia Cemetery) was part of a town that thrived during the 1800s up until the removal of the railroad. All that is left of the town of Xenia is the small, eerie cemetery. People have reported feeling like they were being watched, experiencing cold spots, and a few have witnessed an apparition wielding an ax and patrolling among the graves. Rumor has it that the shad within the cemetery is cursed.
In the late 19th century, two men were engaged in a bitter feud after they began courting the same woman. One man decided to scare the other late at night, hiding in a tree and armed with a fiddle. When the other suitor walked up the path to the house, the man in the tree started to play frightening noises on his instrument. While the prank was indeed successful, the fiddler met his fate after slipping from the tree and breaking his neck. Today, sounds of his phantom fiddling can be heard in the area.
The farm house in Mercer County, Aledo, Illinois has been known to have the closet door open when it is latched, and have the pull-chain light in the attic turn on by itself. No matter the time of day, the activity occurs randomly.
Since 1980, employees and guests of the Mangy Moose Saloon have been witness to a polite apparition of a tall, thin man with a black mustache who haunts the bar and Room 18. Originally built as an officer’s quarters for Fort Liscomb, the lodge was later relocated to a new foundation in Tonsina during the 1920s.
In the 1950s, the Mangy Moose was run by Bill Ogden, who painted the building pink and operated a casino and bordello there; some believe that Bill is the ghost, as he died at the saloon, while others say it is a man who committed suicide there many years ago.
Currently abandoned, the White House was formerly used as a hospital, hotel, and day-care center. Now, it houses the spirit of a woman in white, whom witnesses believe to be the woman who owned the day-care. In 1988, the building was damaged by fire, and it is now deserted.
The Eagles Hall in Skagway, Alaska was constructed sometime during the 1890s after two old hotels were joined together to form the singular building. Several unidentified ghosts are believed to haunt the second floor. Club officers have been sent running out of the hall as result of its strange happenings, such as a mysterious coldness that roams through the halls. In 2010, the Eagles Hall closed.
The Circle Hot Springs Resort is haunted by the spirit of a woman. The paranormal activity of the resort includes disembodied footsteps, objects flying off the walls, and other odd happenings. The female apparition tends to wander the third floor library.
It is also haunted by the former owner, whose ghost does not like renovations. In the bar, beers have been moved by themselves. Disembodied footsteps can be heard on the porches of the rental cabins.
“Denali” means “High One”, referring to one of the most sacred sites in North America – the 20,320-foot-tall Mount McKinley (named for President McKinley). The Athabascan natives believe that the mountain is home to Sa, the sun shaman who is considered to be the master of life itself; the legends date back centuries. Today, mystics consider Mount McKinley to be a transmitter of cosmic forces under the control of the Great White Brotherhood.