In May, 1876, General George Custer marched with his 600 troops from Fort Abraham Lincoln to fight the Sioux tribe. The residents of the area waved farewell to the General and his army. While doing so, they witnessed roughly half of the soldiers ride off into the sky mysteriously as the other half stayed behind in the proper position. They took it as an omen of impending doom. On June 25th at the Battle of Little Bighorn, Custer and 264 of his troops (which was about half of the troops that marched out of Fort Abraham Lincoln) were killed by the Sioux Nation.
Heck/Quaw Elementary School is believed to be haunted by the founder, who allegedly died in the bell tower. Several students have reported seeing his apparition there.
Chichagof was the home of the Chichagof Mines, which opened in the late 1920s. The town had a post office, small businesses, and a population of about 500. However, the mines closes in the late 1950s, which caused the town to lose its outside income. While no one lives there anymore, there are now some logging and mining camps in the area that still function. Original homes and mines still remain.
Carroll College was founded in 1909 by John Patrick Carroll, the second Bishop of the Diocese of Helena, Montana at the time. Originally, the school was named the Mount St. Charles in honor of St. Charles Borromeo. Initially, it served as an all-male liberal arts college, focusing on training young men for careers in medicine, law, engineering, teaching, and priesthood. Now, it is coeducational.