Eloise Insane Asylum

Prior to operating as the Eloise Insane Asylum, the building served as the Wayne County Poor House, established in 1832. By 1834, it was in poor condition, and a new poorhouse was built in the Nankin Township.

On April 11th, 1839, thirty-five people were transferred from the old poorhouse to the new one, with one-hundred-eleven refusing to go into what they referred to as “the awful wilderness.”

On the same property was the Black Horse Tavern, which served as a stagecoach stop between Detroit and Chicago, a two-day trip. The tavern later became the keeper’s quarters. Between 1838 and 1839, a frame building was constructed to house the patients of the asylum. A kitchen was built along the back of the quarters in order to feed both families of the keeper and of the patients.

The Paulding Light

In the valley just outside of Paulding, Michigan, there is a light that appears that is known as the Paulding Light. The first recorded sighting of the light was in 1966. A group of teenagers witnessed it and reported it to the sheriff. Several other people have seen the odd light since, as it occurs almost every night.

Puttygut Bridge

Puttygut Bridge was the site of a fatal accident several years ago. A man was driving his truck drunk drove off the bridge, which was flooded at the time. The man and his truck were never found.

Battenfield House

The Battenfield House was subject to two different mass murders within its walls. The first involved a woman poisoning several of her family members because she liked to go to social events, and the murders would supply the social contact she so desperately wanted. The second murder seems to be lost in history, though it is known that it happened. Nowadays, there have been ghostly flames that emanate from the upstairs, though they provide no heat or burn.

Wal-Mart in Muskegon, Michigan

The Wal-Mart located in Muskegon, Michigan has seen two deaths in its time. One involved a man committing suicide via hanging, and the other was a man who accidentally drove into the shipping docks since the thick fog blocked all traffic signals. Now, items are thrown off shelves too far to have simply fallen. Play balls have been bounced up and down as if they were being dribbled by some unseen entity. Odd bells have been reported to ring within the store.

Hillcrest Sanatorium

The Michigan State Sanatorium’s construction began in the city of Howell in 1906. By September 7th of the following year, the sanatorium started admitting patients. From 1909 and 1930, the hospital grew from 16 beds to 500 beds in just 21 years. At that time, tuberculosis (also known as consumption and the white plague) had ravaged the United States, leading to millions of deaths as the result of the epidemic. Once antibiotics were developed, the death rate dropped significantly. Thusly, the hospital admitted patients with mental disabilities and was renamed to the Howell State Hospital. The name was changed again in 1978 to the Hillcrest Regional Center for the Developmentally Disabled.