Following the death of infamous pirate Jean Laffite, his men returned to Louisiana to the beautiful antebellum mansion, Chretienne Point, in order to rob its namesake, Madame Chretienne. Chretienne was a close friend of Laffite and was a rather wealthy recluse. When she heard the pirates breaking into her home, she fled and looked for an escape, but became cornered by one of them. Brandishing the Derringer pistol she had hidden within her clothing, Chretienne shot the assailant between the eyes, causing the others to evacuate at the sound of the gunshot. She proceeded to stow the body away in the closet, where it remained for three long days until authorities could reach her rather secluded abode.
Kendrick Mansion features night surveillance in order to keep living trespassers away. However, the cameras have captured some ghostly intruders who roam the rooms and halls. When a police officer goes to investigate, the apparition disappears. However, the spirit remains on the camera even though the officer cannot see it.
Wildwood Highlands in Yucaipa, California is an enormous mansion where four sisters lived. Fredrico, the pool boy, became extremely jealous when the oldest sister began dating the gardener, Pedro. One night, he snapped and decided to stab each of the four sisters. He then proceeded to throw them from the top bedroom window into pool located below.
The Vaille Mansion used to be an insane asylum prior to its use as a residence. Several years ago, Mrs. Vaille committed suicide by overdosing on morphine shortly after her husband, Mr. Vaille, lost his sanity and died. In the upper part of the mansion (which is closed off to the public), the ghost of Mrs. Vaille lingers around.
The Bond Street Mansion was built sometime during the 18th or 19th century. The family cemetery is located directly across the road from the massive estate. During the 1800s, a little boy was living with his parents in the mansion. One night, the candle at his bedside was blown out by a draft in the middle of the night, which caused him to die of fright. He is buried in one of the cemetery’s tombs.
In November 1907, the couple was on their way to visit some friends in New Haven, Indiana when tragedy struck. While passing through the small village of Maples, Indiana, they were killed when their buggy was hit by a Pennsylvania Railroad train. Following their untimely demise, the children continued to reside on the property, leaving their daughter, the eldest child, to raise her brothers.
Cedarhurst Mansion was established by Stephen Ewing in 1823. The mansion, which was two-stories high and had fifteen-inch thick brick walls, overcame a number of challenges over its time. Many owners have lived in the mansion as well. During the 1950s, a severe thunderstorm rolled in. The ghost of a tall girl with dark hair made her appearance in front of a visitor who was sleeping up stairs. She told him, “Help me! The terrible wind has blown my tombstone over.”.
A carpet bagger during the Civil War, Captain Leeper was a cruel man who would beat, shoot, and sometimes hang African-Americans. While they were his preferred targets, he would do the same to anyone who opposed his railroad that was being built. When the time came that he was on his deathbed, he had to be tied down due to the fact he kept screaming he was being attacked by demons.
William Larnach (the house’s namesake and a prominent entrepreneur and politician) built a large home on the Dunedin Peninsula between 1871 and 1887. His architect was R.A. Lawson, who built several other buildings in Dunedin. The building resulted with 43 rooms, a ballroom, and a staff of 46 servants. William’s daughter, Kate, was given the ballroom for her 21st birthday in 1887. However, tragedy struck when she died of typhoid at age 26. Her ghost, along with William’s first wife, Eliza, still haunt the ballroom.
Originally, the mansion was owned by its builder, Shelton C. Fogus, who was a wealthy building merchant in Sacramento, California. Leland Stanford, who was an upcoming politician of the Republican Party and the president of the Central Pacific Railroad, bought the house in June, 1861 for $8,000; this was only a short while before the election that would result in his governorship. The Stanford Mansion was his home as well as the state’s executive office. After his two-year term, Frederick Low and Henry Huntly Haight took the mansion respectively. Due to the flooding from the Sacramento River, Stanford had to attend his inauguration via rowboat in 1862. This led to the house needing to be raised twelve feet above ground level, as flooding was rather common. An additional two stories were added and the what-was 4,000 square feet large mansion (370 square meters) was expanded to a massive 19,000, becoming a four-story, French-design inspired mansion.
The Litch family, who was extremely prominent in the timber and lumber industry during the mid-1840s, built a mansion on the hill overlooking North Fort Creek. In addition to the luxurious mansion, they owned a smaller summer home about 1/4 of a mile away from it.
The Brown Mansion was built sometime during the early 1900s, and has been the site of many tragedies. Mr. Brown, a wealthy man and the owner of the mansion, lost all but one of his children while they were in their childhood. Today, employees can hear the sound of bowling balls striking pins in the basement, as there was a personal alley in its day. In the third floor’s ballroom, the scent of cherry tobacco smoke sometimes and sound of partygoers fill the room. It is believed to be the ghost of Mr. Brown, and he has been seen in a smoking jacket. The house is also said to be haunted by the dead children as well.