During the early 1800s, Dr. John H. Purefoy was adding a new well in the backyard of his property. While working on it, the wooden rigging collapsed, burying a worker under tons of sandy soil. Rescuers could hear the man screaming out for help, but unfortunately, they were unable to save him. The body was never recovered from the accident.
Grace Hall was built in 1857 by Henry Ware as an antebellum mansion in neoclassicism and Victorian style. During the Civil War, much of the city of Selma was damaged or destroyed, but many of the architecturally buildings were left intact (including Grace Hall and Sturdivant Hall). Currently, Grace Hall is owned by Coy and Joey Dillon, and it is operated as a bed and breakfast. It is open for tours, parties, business meetings, and assorted social events.
Founded in 1822, the Maple Hill Cemetery is Alabama’s oldest and largest cemetery. “Dead Children’s Playground” is located within the cemetery’s limits, sitting in a cove surrounded by a rocky cliff and paths through the woods.
During the 1800s, the owner of McCosh’s Mill caught his wife having an affair, and he murdered both her and her boyfriend. The apparitions of a woman in white have been seen inside the mill, and her lover has been known to roam the surrounding woods. The man is regarded to as an “angry spirit”. The status of the mill is unknown.
Every night, the sound of mumbling and rumbling rocks and pebbles can be heard. There are also shadow people that have been seen walking around.
Those who visit the Memory Hill Cemetery have reported feeling a chill down their spine when they enter the center of the cemetery. One summer, a girl found three frozen dead squirrels under a tree in the heat of summer. At night, the ghost of a girl can be heard humming “Amazing Grace”.
The Buck Creek Cotton Mill opened for business in 1896. Now in terrible shape, it has been abandoned for years. The interior has blood spots in certain rooms, cold spots, and disturbing noises. It is likely that people died while the mill was in use, causing the paranormal activity.
The Louisville and Nashville railroad tracks are haunted by a bandit nicknamed “Railroad Bill”. The bandit has haunted the surrounding pine woods by the tracks for over a century. Those who have seen him describe him as a “tall, broad-shouldered black man with a smile”.
Cedarhurst Mansion was established by Stephen Ewing in 1823. The mansion, which was two-stories high and had fifteen-inch thick brick walls, overcame a number of challenges over its time. Many owners have lived in the mansion as well. During the 1950s, a severe thunderstorm rolled in. The ghost of a tall girl with dark hair made her appearance in front of a visitor who was sleeping up stairs. She told him, “Help me! The terrible wind has blown my tombstone over.”.
Indian Meadows and Shady Grove are communities that were built over old Cherokee burial grounds, and they have had paranormal reports for the last twenty years. Dark figures have been seen in the woods at night. Those who go out for a walk during this time say that they can hear and feel presences following them, only to find that no one is there.
The Eliza Battle was a palatial steamboat that sailed on the Tombigee River. It was launched in New Albany, Indiana in 1852. At the time, it was one of the most luxurious riverboats in the state’s waters. President Millard Fillmore was once entertained aboard it during a reception on April 7th, 1854.
In September, 1934, Lonnie Stephens was falsely accused of murdering his girlfriend. It was not until after Stephens’ death that the real killer had confessed. After escaping a chain gang, Stephens attempted to get a ride hitchhiking when he was struck and killed by a car. Now, his ghost can be seen in the middle of the road, trying to flag a car down for a ride. His arms can be seen out-stretched, and cars often pass through him, much to the driver’s shock.