The Borley Rectory was built in 1862 near the Borley Church by Reverend Henry Dawson Ellis Bull. A year later, he moved into the house after being named the rector of the parish. The house was built ont he same land as the old rectory that had burned down in 1841. As time went on, the Borley Rectory was enlarged to include an additional wing for Bull’s family of fourteen children.
The Whaley House was the residence of Thomas Whaley and his family. It also served as Mr. Whaley’s general store, the second county courthouse in San Diego, and the first commercial theater over the years.
There have been several sightings of a ghostly man riding on a tall black horse through the area. While his back story is unknown, he has appeared several times in Central State.
During the 19th or early 20th century, the Bessie Gym was used as a morgue. It is believed to be haunted by the old caretaker, who has been seen wearing a long black trench coat, a top hat, and a long, brown beard. There have also been a number of cold spots in the building.
Loon Creek is haunted by the ghost of Manuel Sato. He wanders the deserted hills near the creek, and has been doing so ever since his death in 1870. One morning, while he was making himself some breakfast, a robber mauled him with a knife. The robber then proceeded to rob a bank, and allegedly buried his haul near the site of Sato’s murder. Fort Boise had sent soldiers to recover the stolen money, and came across the ghost of Sato along the way. He was seen directing an invisible pack of mules.