Hill Park is a private historical cemetery dedicated to the American Civil War. Frank James and two other Confederate soldiers are buried there. Reports of an apparition have been made, and it is believed to be the spirit of a soldier who was killed during a battle in either 1862 or 1864.
Confederate General William Whiting was fatally wounded during an attack on Fort Fisher by the Union in 1864. The fort protected the last remaining river route used by blockade runners who supplied the Confederacy with the goods they needed. With the Union taking the stronghold, the war was practically won.
Confederate Park is a state park located in Higginsville, Missouri. It is filled with several graves of American Civil War soldiers, predominantly the Confederate soldiers. They are said to haunt the park.
The Williamsburg Theater (also known as the Kimball Theater) is haunted by a Union soldier. During the Civil War, the theater was actually a home owned by the Wade family, who was well-known in the area for helping poor families in need of a place to stay, and they often ended up letting them into their own home for a short stay.
Now a state park, Fort Delaware served as a prison for Confederate soldiers during the Civil War. Workers and tourists alike have seen ghosts, felt cold spots, and heard disembodied voices. The ghost of a Civil War soldier has been reported watching groups of tourists from the upper ramparts. The fort, which is located on an island, also has a cemetery for soldiers who died of typhus and malaria, which is supposedly haunted as well.
During the Civil War, Bush Upton’s house served as a hospital. Little is known about Bush Upton, or how long the house belonged to him. Reports of spirits of Confederate Soldiers throwing objects at windows and breaking them have been made.
Those who have visited Bear Creek Swamp have reported seeing odd, seemingly sourceless lights as well as apparitions of Civil War soldiers. Lots of strange noises have been heard coming from the region. An abnormally high amount of lizards and snakes populate the area as well.
The Auburn University Chapel was built in 1851 as a Presbyterian church. During the Civil War, the building was a Confederate hospital used for healing wounded soldiers. Later, the building was temporarily divided into classrooms when the Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical College burned down in 1887.
The church was renovated sometime around 1900. It was eventually sold to the college in 1921, and it became the YMCA/YWCA center for a few years. Auburn Players Theater, the college’s acting troupe, was housed there from 1927 to 1973. The structure received additional renovations between 1973 and 1976 to convert it into the Auburn University Chapel.
A legend about Sydney Grimlett, the ghost of a Confederate soldier who died in the temporary war hospital, says that a man haunts the school. When the building became a theater, Grimlett began to haunt the acting troupe, and when the group moved to another part of the campus, he followed them. He is now reported to haunt the Telfair Peet Theatre. Students often leave Skittles candies to Sydney before performing in shows.
The Adams Grove Presbyterian Church, constructed in the Greek revival-style in 1853, is one of the few pre-Civil War churches remaining in the area. The cemetery outside of the church was built at least five years prior. The last congregation was held in either 1974 or 1986, depending on the source. It is widely considered to be one of the most haunted locations in Alabama.