El Salvadorian canyon Sayulapa is believed to be haunted by a woman named La Llorona, who drowned and killed both of her children in order to marry a rich rancher that she fell in love with over one hundred years ago. It is said that if you yell “Llorona” three times, her apparition will appear in front of you. Many claim that you need to run or she will take your soul. Other reports including the sounds of the two murdered children screaming while drowning.
The Great Pyramids of Giza are known for having “the mummy’s curse” as well as being haunted by a man and his three children. Dressed in 1920s-style clothing, they appear to be looking for someone within the walls of the pyramid. There are two theories that surround the group: that the adult man is an archaeologist looking at the pyramid, or he is looking for his deceased wife.
Legend has it that an old man named Tucker lost his sanity one day during the late 1800s and killed his family (his wife, his children, and his mother). He then buried their bodies in the cellar beneath the house. Eventually, he took his own life. After his death, the property was turned into a cemetery, but the house remained.
The residents of Manor Grove Nursing Home that suffer from dementia and Alzheimer’s have complained of a little boy who plays in their room at night and tends to wake them up. It is said that it is the ghost of a little boy who was killed on the nearby railroad tracks during the 1950s or 60s.
The Woodland Beach in Kent County, Delaware was home to a boardwalk and several attractions during the early 1900s. Now, only the boardwalk’s pier remains. However, on a well-lit night (whether by flashlight or moonlight), you can see figures walking over the water where the boardwalk once stood. It appears that they are awaiting a ferry that no longer comes to the beach. Now, the Woodland area is filled with several homes, and the beach is open to the public.
The University of Dayton was formerly the St. Mary’s School for Boys during the 1850s. Now, apparitions of a priest with students have been sighted at and near the Chapel of Immaculate Conception. The Theta Phi Alpha is said to be haunted by a young man. Several girls who have taken up residence in the home have reported heavy items being moved around, lights turning on and off on their own, and an ominous presence when they are going to bed. They have also said it is extremely cold at night, and that they wake up with less energy than they did before they fell asleep.
The Saur Castle belonged to Anton Sauer and his wife Francesca. The two were married in Vienna, Austria at the age of 18, and they had a total of five children there: Gustave O.L., Anthony Philip Jr., Julius J., Emil, and Johanna. In order to be with Anton’s mother and sisters, the Sauer family decided to move to New York City in 1858. However, Francesca had a worsening case of tuberculosis that eventually killed her in 1868. Anton then decided to move to Kansas City, Kansas.
The Schwartz Hotel has had several odd occurrences take place on its grounds. Many people have reported having an overall eerie feeling when they walk by the hotel, while others have seen strange lights. During the 1800s, a father and his son got into an argument and ended up shooting each other, and they are the source of the haunting. One woman was so scared by seeing their ghosts that she hung herself from the upper balcony. Now, she, too, resides among the resident spirits of the Schwartz Hotel.
The voices of children laughing, talking, and playing can be heard coming from Binger School’s gym at night, when no children are at the school. The sound of footsteps and talking has been known to occur in the basement. It is unknown what causes the hauntings.
The Old Presidents Elementary’s gym is located on the upstairs floor, and it has been completely condemned so people may not enter it. There have been sightings of a ghostly class of students wearing early 20th century clothing coming from the gym. The source of the haunting is unknown.
The Michigan State Sanatorium’s construction began in the city of Howell in 1906. By September 7th of the following year, the sanatorium started admitting patients. From 1909 and 1930, the hospital grew from 16 beds to 500 beds in just 21 years. At that time, tuberculosis (also known as consumption and the white plague) had ravaged the United States, leading to millions of deaths as the result of the epidemic. Once antibiotics were developed, the death rate dropped significantly. Thusly, the hospital admitted patients with mental disabilities and was renamed to the Howell State Hospital. The name was changed again in 1978 to the Hillcrest Regional Center for the Developmentally Disabled.
William J. Lemp attended the St. Louis University, being able to afford his attendance by using the riches brought in by his father. After graduating, he worked at the brewery but went on to form a partnership with a different brewing company. By the 1860s, Adam Lemp had forty breweries in the caves along the Mississippi River. In 1861, William enlisted in the United States Reserve Corps, where he attained the rank of Orderly Sergeant. He eventually married Julia Feickert. Seven years later, William’s father-in-law Jacob Feickert, who had lived in the area all of his life, built a house near the brewery, a property that William would later buy in 1876 to use as an auxiliary office and residence: the thirty-three-roomed Lemp Mansion.
In 1884, the radiator system was installed – only half a decade after radiant heat was patented. An open-air lift was added in place of the grand staircase. A tunnel was added to connect the mansion through the caves to the brewery.