Bodelwyddan was bought from the Humphreys by Sir William Williams, who was the Speaker in the House of Commons from 1680 to 1681. The castle was reconstructed by Sir John Hay Williams between 1830 and 1852 with the help of architects Joseph Hansom (inventor of the Hansom cab) and Edward Welch, who refurbished and extended the house. This occurred even despite the decline of the Williams’ family fortunes since 1850, which occurred due to the loss of income from lead mining, the family’s main income.
The Samlesbury Hall was built in 1325 by Gilbert de Southworth, and it was the main home of the Southworth family until the early 15th century. It is rumored that the hall was built to replace an earlier building destroyed by a Scottish raid in 1322. The hall, over the years, has served a number of purposes, such as a public house and a girls boarding school. It has been a tourist attraction since 1925, though, when it was saved from being demolished for its timber. It is believed to be haunted by the ghost of Lady Dorothy Southworth and other members of the Southworth family.
The Charleville Castle was part of the ancient monastic site of Lynally in the 6th century. The land was later used when Dublin started to feel threatened by the wild tribes of the West. By the 1500s, the O’Moore clan secured their location in the area, which lasted until the late 1800s.
The Woodchester Mansion was built next to the old church. In 1564, George Huntly was granted the manor. He decided to add a deer park, a seven-mile boundary wall around it, and a hunting lodge by 1610. This bankrupted the Huntlys, and the manor was sold to Sir Robert Ducie and his family in 1631. The area around the mansion expanded while he lived there. The mansion has been remodelled several times in the 1770s and 1830s. Now, it is believed that the mansion is haunted by several of the people who lived there.
Construction on the Wellington Opera House started in 1911, designed by William Pitt and Albert Liddy. It was named the Grand Opera House at the time, and was made out of brick with wooden floors. The theater was restored in 1977 in order to make it safer and nicer looking.