Omoa, Honduras BUILT: 1777 OPERATION TIME: 1777 to Present STATUS: Open History Built in 1777, the San Fernando de Omoa Fort was used to fortify the coast and silver mines from the constant attacks from British pirates. Paranormal activity has occurred for over the last century, and locals claim that the sound of cannons firing can be…
Fort Dodge is currently used as a retirement home for veterans. One building at the fort is the home of many spirits who are assumed to be soldiers.
Fort Jefferson (named for President Thomas Jefferson) began construction in 1846. The already existing lighthouse on the island remained with in the fort’s walls up until it was demolished in 1877. A massive design, the fort featured two sides that measured 325 ft. and two walls that measured 477 ft. Heavy guns were mounted onto the sides of Fort Jefferson’s walls.
The U.S. Army Medical Training Center’s Service Club Number Two is haunted by a spirit with a playful nature. Ever since 1960, the building’s employees and guests have reported an unseen entity clearing its throat. The ghost has also been known to open and close windows, play with typewriters, and play solitary Ping-Pong.
Fort Lipantitlan was used by the Mexicans during the early- and mid-1800s. The fort is haunted by “the Lady in Green”, the wife of Marcelino Garcia. After being wounded during a battle with the Texans, Garcia laid dying in bed, only to see the ghost of his wife at his bedside for several days, even though she was alive, living in Mexico City.
Fort Davis was used as a Confederate fort in 1861 during the Civil War. During this time, a woman named Alice Walpole stopped by the area to search for roses along Limpia Creek when she was abducted by members of the Apache tribe. Though her body was never found, her spirit began to appear in the area, indicating she had been killed.
Fort Abercrombie serves as the residence for ghosts of both soldiers and Native Americans. Established in 1857, it was built to protect the wagon trains that were heading west to California. In 1862, the fort was attacked by the Sioux Nation repeatedly, causing casualties on both sides that resulted in Fort Abercrombie’s hauntings.
Confederate General William Whiting was fatally wounded during an attack on Fort Fisher by the Union in 1864. The fort protected the last remaining river route used by blockade runners who supplied the Confederacy with the goods they needed. With the Union taking the stronghold, the war was practically won.
In 1759, the Battle of Fort Niagara took place between the British and the French and Native Americans for two weeks. Even despite the battle going on, two Frenchmen began to fight over the attention of a beautiful young woman. Their duel resulted in the winner decapitating his opponent with his sword. The severed head bounced on the surrounding cobblestone, and fell into a well.
In May, 1876, General George Custer marched with his 600 troops from Fort Abraham Lincoln to fight the Sioux tribe. The residents of the area waved farewell to the General and his army. While doing so, they witnessed roughly half of the soldiers ride off into the sky mysteriously as the other half stayed behind in the proper position. They took it as an omen of impending doom. On June 25th at the Battle of Little Bighorn, Custer and 264 of his troops (which was about half of the troops that marched out of Fort Abraham Lincoln) were killed by the Sioux Nation.
During the Civil War, Fort Lincoln was the site of the abuse and mistreatment of several Confederate soldiers who were imprisoned there. They were often kept in small tents in wet and filthy conditions. Over 4,000 Confederate soldiers died at the fort in the course of two years, either of disease or of abuse.
Fort William Henry is haunted by Tarratine Native American chief Taukolexis who was murdered at the fort by English soldiers. Legend has it that in July, 1696 that the chief poured his soul into the tree that he was to be hanged from. Ever since his execution, he has appeared as a misty white light. Now, both tourists and employees at Fort William Henry have reported odd light that comes from the front gate and moves towards the tree that Taukolexis was hung from.