Hill Park is a private historical cemetery dedicated to the American Civil War. Frank James and two other Confederate soldiers are buried there. Reports of an apparition have been made, and it is believed to be the spirit of a soldier who was killed during a battle in either 1862 or 1864.
Sanders Valley was the site of a barn belonging to a family during the Civil War. While the war was going on, a group of Union soldiers killed the family living on the farm because they were southern sympathizers. The story goes that the women and children were cast into the old cistern, the father was dragged around the valley to death, and the slave was hung in the barn. Now, on nights with full moons, the apparition of the slave can be seen swinging from the rafters. Children can be heard laughing.
The Williamsburg Theater (also known as the Kimball Theater) is haunted by a Union soldier. During the Civil War, the theater was actually a home owned by the Wade family, who was well-known in the area for helping poor families in need of a place to stay, and they often ended up letting them into their own home for a short stay.
Now a state park, Fort Delaware served as a prison for Confederate soldiers during the Civil War. Workers and tourists alike have seen ghosts, felt cold spots, and heard disembodied voices. The ghost of a Civil War soldier has been reported watching groups of tourists from the upper ramparts. The fort, which is located on an island, also has a cemetery for soldiers who died of typhus and malaria, which is supposedly haunted as well.
Those who have visited Bear Creek Swamp have reported seeing odd, seemingly sourceless lights as well as apparitions of Civil War soldiers. Lots of strange noises have been heard coming from the region. An abnormally high amount of lizards and snakes populate the area as well.
Bass Cemetery, a graveyard a bit over 200 years old, is a Civil War soldier and slave cemetery. When a rise in animal remains began to pop up, reports of Occult activities followed. A bodied had been removed from its coffin by one of the occult members. The cemetery has been known to have apparitions, the feeling of being watched or followed, and disembodied screaming.
The Auburn University Chapel was built in 1851 as a Presbyterian church. During the Civil War, the building was a Confederate hospital used for healing wounded soldiers. Later, the building was temporarily divided into classrooms when the Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical College burned down in 1887.
The church was renovated sometime around 1900. It was eventually sold to the college in 1921, and it became the YMCA/YWCA center for a few years. Auburn Players Theater, the college’s acting troupe, was housed there from 1927 to 1973. The structure received additional renovations between 1973 and 1976 to convert it into the Auburn University Chapel.
A legend about Sydney Grimlett, the ghost of a Confederate soldier who died in the temporary war hospital, says that a man haunts the school. When the building became a theater, Grimlett began to haunt the acting troupe, and when the group moved to another part of the campus, he followed them. He is now reported to haunt the Telfair Peet Theatre. Students often leave Skittles candies to Sydney before performing in shows.