Currently abandoned, the White House was formerly used as a hospital, hotel, and day-care center. Now, it houses the spirit of a woman in white, whom witnesses believe to be the woman who owned the day-care. In 1988, the building was damaged by fire, and it is now deserted.
The abandoned old house in Bolivar, Ohio was a former farmhouse, sitting atop a large property. The looming house has been left to rot on the side of the road, with its windows mostly broken.
Before the poor farm was built, there was a house on the same spot. During the Civil War, it was used as part as the Underground Railroad and was later converted into a nursing home. However, the building burned to the ground. The nearby intersection was nicknamed the “Four Corners of the Spiritual World”, as there were four corners with four different locations that seemed to make up the setting of most of the town’s inhabitants’ lives.
On one corner, there was a carnival that would take place, which residents would visit before going to the church, located on another corner. When they got old, they would go to the poor farm, on a third corner, which was proceeded by the fourth and final corner – the cemetery.
One day, the owner of the house asked his neighbor to keep an eye on it while he was gone – he never returned. Eventually, the house was sold, and the new owners made plans to renovate the place. While working on it, the construction crew was troubled by hauntings, and they were forced to walk out on the job. The owners then came to the decision to build a new house slightly behind the old location.
The poor farm is home to both benign and malevolent spirits; the most sighted evil spirit is a shadowy man who runs atop the building. On some nights, apparitions of rooms that don’t exist anymore appear. The paranormal activity is heightened by the local witches who practice their craft nearby.
One day, a man returned home after being fired from his job. There, he discovered his wife and children murdered, and he proceeded to commit suicide. Now, the home is condemned and is under video surveillance.
The old farmhouse on Sherman Church Road in Bolivar, Ohio sits atop a large area of and. Its ominous exterior features broken window panes, and its even more terrifying insides look as if it has abandoned for several decades. The house sits alone on the property.
The Birmingham Army Hospital was probably used during the Civil War. The building is now a high school. A cemetery is located behind it.
Located in Placer County, California, Iowa Hill was filled with gold miners after a piece was found in 1853. The town has burned down on three different occasions. In its day, it had grocery stores, a brewery, a soda factory, hardware stores, and hotels.
Beaver Mills in Mobile County, Alabama was at its peak during the Civil War and a few years after. During the war, the town’s mill was used as a uniform depot. After the Civil War ended, the old uniforms were then converted into the making of bonded paper. The mill still stands today. There are tall stone walls in the area, and buttons from uniforms can be found in the town. The woods have taken over most of the area, and no buildings remain (other than the mill). Beaver Mills is on private property, and requires permission to enter. The bridges have since been removed to prevent anyone from intruding.
Battelle (DeKalb County, Alabama) was a thriving mining community at the turn of the century, having spread out to the base of Lookout Mountain, five miles north of Valley Head, Alabama. Now, the forest has taken over, and no buildings remain in what was Battelle. Ruins include scattered bricks, rotted lumber, and a few pieces of metal. A few tame rose bushes remain.
It is believed that Wolf Hole, Arizona may have been a ranching and farming community. Named by Major John Wesley Powell, Wolf Hole was incorrectly translated from its Pah-Ute name, which meant “Coyote Spring.” From 1918 to 1927, there was a post office, which, like the rest of the town, was abandoned. Currently one house and a few foundations remain.
Barnsville, Alabama, which is located in Marion County, was an empty town. For many years, there was a blacksmith shop and a grocery store, and the community was built around the two churches (one a Missionary Baptist and the other a Freewill Baptist) and single cemetery. Even despite the fact it is a ghost town, the few who live in the town attend “Decoration Day,” which takes place on the third Sunday in May.
Not much is known about Bolding’s history other than that it had a small amount of buildings. It was named for Reverend John Bolding. Overall, the town was charming and contained good-hearted people. A Methodist church once used for worship and family gatherings stands in the town. Scattered farms, homes, and country roads remain as the main portion of what is left in Bolding.