During the early 1800s, Dr. John H. Purefoy was adding a new well in the backyard of his property. While working on it, the wooden rigging collapsed, burying a worker under tons of sandy soil. Rescuers could hear the man screaming out for help, but unfortunately, they were unable to save him. The body was never recovered from the accident.
Constructed in 1903, the historic Royal Hotel served miners, railroad and timber crews, travelers, and ranchers on the Wolcott Stage line. It served a number of other purposes while in operation, including the Yampa Leader newspaper’s headquarters, a hospital during 1919’s flu epidemic when the local hospital could not accommodate the number of patients afflicted, a boarding house for school children during the winter months, a school gymnasium, a drug store, a post office, a family dining room, a general store, an upholstery store, and apartments.
Hope Hill Cemetery, located between Milan and Medina in Gibson County, Tennessee, is home to the spirit of a young girl who died under controversial and shady circumstances in 1931. In some sources, the five-year-old Dorothy Marie Harvey was said to have perished to natural causes, while others offer a much more sinister tale of her being raped and beaten to death by her uncle. Another version state she was killed by a piano dropped by the mover that her parents hired. In any case, her family built a dollhouse over her grave after she was buried since it was her favorite place to play (the original has had to be rebuilt several times due to vandals; it is now maintained by family members).
Prior to operating under the name “SOAARR,” the facility served as a rehabilitation camp for teenagers and adolescents struggling with substance abuse. Today, the site is abandoned and harbors an apparition who runs past the window. The identity of the spirit remains a mystery. Inside the building, visitors reported experiencing cold spots.
Currently abandoned and overrun with plant growth, the Jessie Creek Cemetery is located near the Circle Mountain and infamous Haunted Hill just outside Bartlesville, Oklahoma. It resides in an open field near a small defunct lawn-and-landscape business. Due to the obscuring vegetation, the cemetery is difficult to spot when driving past it. Those who do manage to visit report having technical problems with their digital cameras, possibly because of ethereal activity.
Bethany Beach is haunted by a ragged-looking military spirit in tattered clothing that roams along a stretch of the shore. Though uncertain, it is believed that the ghost is Eddie “Fast Eddie” Rickenbacker (b. October 8th, 1890), an Air Force/Army hero from World War I who died of pneumonia in Switzerland on July 23rd, 1973.
Secor Cemetery (previously named the Xenia Cemetery) was part of a town that thrived during the 1800s up until the removal of the railroad. All that is left of the town of Xenia is the small, eerie cemetery. People have reported feeling like they were being watched, experiencing cold spots, and a few have witnessed an apparition wielding an ax and patrolling among the graves. Rumor has it that the shad within the cemetery is cursed.
The Partridge Preschool was supposedly the site of a four-year-old girl’s murder. Her spirit now rides back and forth on her favorite swing in the playground. When you rattle the doors, she will rattle them back in response. At night, the girl listens music in the room nearest to her swing; it has been known to stop and start on its own, sometimes being played very loudly. Outside in the playground, toys are scattered in her favorite places. Should you move them around and leave, they will return to their original spots.
Since 1980, employees and guests of the Mangy Moose Saloon have been witness to a polite apparition of a tall, thin man with a black mustache who haunts the bar and Room 18. Originally built as an officer’s quarters for Fort Liscomb, the lodge was later relocated to a new foundation in Tonsina during the 1920s.
In the 1950s, the Mangy Moose was run by Bill Ogden, who painted the building pink and operated a casino and bordello there; some believe that Bill is the ghost, as he died at the saloon, while others say it is a man who committed suicide there many years ago.
The Eagles Hall in Skagway, Alaska was constructed sometime during the 1890s after two old hotels were joined together to form the singular building. Several unidentified ghosts are believed to haunt the second floor. Club officers have been sent running out of the hall as result of its strange happenings, such as a mysterious coldness that roams through the halls. In 2010, the Eagles Hall closed.
The Circle Hot Springs Resort is haunted by the spirit of a woman. The paranormal activity of the resort includes disembodied footsteps, objects flying off the walls, and other odd happenings. The female apparition tends to wander the third floor library.
It is also haunted by the former owner, whose ghost does not like renovations. In the bar, beers have been moved by themselves. Disembodied footsteps can be heard on the porches of the rental cabins.
“Denali” means “High One”, referring to one of the most sacred sites in North America – the 20,320-foot-tall Mount McKinley (named for President McKinley). The Athabascan natives believe that the mountain is home to Sa, the sun shaman who is considered to be the master of life itself; the legends date back centuries. Today, mystics consider Mount McKinley to be a transmitter of cosmic forces under the control of the Great White Brotherhood.