Cicero, Kansas was founded some time during the late 1800s, lying just four miles north and two miles east of Wellington, Kansas in Sumner County. Originally, it had two wooden grain elevators, a town hall, around four houses, and a store with a post office. A one-room school house was located 1/2 mile west of Cicero.
In the northeast corner of the town, Tampa, Kansas has a Santa Fe Trail marker and a pointer to ruts created by the wagons of pioneers who were trying to get to California during its gold rush. The old grade school, despite being in near-ruin, was a spectacular sight in its day. In the 2000 census, Tampa’s population was 144.
Located in the ancient Italian town of Vestini, the ghost town Aveia has a few remaining buildings still standing. Paintings inside of the church date back to the 12th century. In 1902, a 3rd-century inscription was found in the town.