Located in Placer County, California, Iowa Hill was filled with gold miners after a piece was found in 1853. The town has burned down on three different occasions. In its day, it had grocery stores, a brewery, a soda factory, hardware stores, and hotels.
Beaver Mills in Mobile County, Alabama was at its peak during the Civil War and a few years after. During the war, the town’s mill was used as a uniform depot. After the Civil War ended, the old uniforms were then converted into the making of bonded paper. The mill still stands today. There are tall stone walls in the area, and buttons from uniforms can be found in the town. The woods have taken over most of the area, and no buildings remain (other than the mill). Beaver Mills is on private property, and requires permission to enter. The bridges have since been removed to prevent anyone from intruding.
Battelle (DeKalb County, Alabama) was a thriving mining community at the turn of the century, having spread out to the base of Lookout Mountain, five miles north of Valley Head, Alabama. Now, the forest has taken over, and no buildings remain in what was Battelle. Ruins include scattered bricks, rotted lumber, and a few pieces of metal. A few tame rose bushes remain.
It is believed that Wolf Hole, Arizona may have been a ranching and farming community. Named by Major John Wesley Powell, Wolf Hole was incorrectly translated from its Pah-Ute name, which meant “Coyote Spring.” From 1918 to 1927, there was a post office, which, like the rest of the town, was abandoned. Currently one house and a few foundations remain.
Barnsville, Alabama, which is located in Marion County, was an empty town. For many years, there was a blacksmith shop and a grocery store, and the community was built around the two churches (one a Missionary Baptist and the other a Freewill Baptist) and single cemetery. Even despite the fact it is a ghost town, the few who live in the town attend “Decoration Day,” which takes place on the third Sunday in May.
Not much is known about Bolding’s history other than that it had a small amount of buildings. It was named for Reverend John Bolding. Overall, the town was charming and contained good-hearted people. A Methodist church once used for worship and family gatherings stands in the town. Scattered farms, homes, and country roads remain as the main portion of what is left in Bolding.
Riceville was a tannery town that was very successful from 1898 to 1906. In 1900, there were at least 75 people, a school, and the nearest railroad station was located in Costigan. The town was abandoned some time in 1906 after the tannery burnt down, which devastated the town. No one attempted to rebuild it since everyone who lived in Riceville left after the fire.
Chichagof was the home of the Chichagof Mines, which opened in the late 1920s. The town had a post office, small businesses, and a population of about 500. However, the mines closes in the late 1950s, which caused the town to lose its outside income. While no one lives there anymore, there are now some logging and mining camps in the area that still function. Original homes and mines still remain.
Flooding was a problem in Bonito, New Mexico for several years. A dam was later added in order to reduce this issue, but the water eventually broke through and flood the town and its cemetery. Eventually, the gold mine was flooded. Prior to the flooding, a series of mysterious killings occurred. It is unknown if the killer broke the dam.
Dyea, Alaska was launched for the gold rush. The popular picture of men going up and down a large hill with their provisions was taken in the town. While Dyea is considered a ghost town, there are still a small group of residents that live in the town. It is very close to Skagway, as it is actually on the site. Roads connect the two. Now, there are a few remains of buildings and some old headstones.
Twin Mound, located in Douglas County, Kansas, was named for its two hills that lie in the area’s landscape. Henry Hiatt, who was born in Dublin, Indiana in 1816, moved out to the Kansas Territory with his wife and five children in 1856, eventually settling in Bloomington. For a short while after arriving in Bloomington, Hiatt and two other men operated a saw mill. However, within a year, Hiatt left the business and moved his family seven miles southwest of the town.
Portlock, Alaska in Kenai Peninsula County was named after Captain Nathaniel Portlock, a member of the Royal Navy, who landed in Alaska in August, 1787. However, Spain and Russia owned the land all the way up until 1867, when the United States purchased it.