During the early 1800s, Dr. John H. Purefoy was adding a new well in the backyard of his property. While working on it, the wooden rigging collapsed, burying a worker under tons of sandy soil. Rescuers could hear the man screaming out for help, but unfortunately, they were unable to save him. The body was never recovered from the accident.
Constructed in 1903, the historic Royal Hotel served miners, railroad and timber crews, travelers, and ranchers on the Wolcott Stage line. It served a number of other purposes while in operation, including the Yampa Leader newspaper’s headquarters, a hospital during 1919’s flu epidemic when the local hospital could not accommodate the number of patients afflicted, a boarding house for school children during the winter months, a school gymnasium, a drug store, a post office, a family dining room, a general store, an upholstery store, and apartments.
The Sacramento City Library (also known as Central Branch) was built in 1918 based on designs by Loring P. Rixford. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 30th, 1992. The library is haunted by an unseen entity. In the Sacramento Room, the sound of shelving moving, books being pulled out, and rustling Mylar have been heard coming from no apparent source. Books have also been known to disappear and reappear from the shelves. The glass doors close by themselves.
Following the death of infamous pirate Jean Laffite, his men returned to Louisiana to the beautiful antebellum mansion, Chretienne Point, in order to rob its namesake, Madame Chretienne. Chretienne was a close friend of Laffite and was a rather wealthy recluse. When she heard the pirates breaking into her home, she fled and looked for an escape, but became cornered by one of them. Brandishing the Derringer pistol she had hidden within her clothing, Chretienne shot the assailant between the eyes, causing the others to evacuate at the sound of the gunshot. She proceeded to stow the body away in the closet, where it remained for three long days until authorities could reach her rather secluded abode.
Hope Hill Cemetery, located between Milan and Medina in Gibson County, Tennessee, is home to the spirit of a young girl who died under controversial and shady circumstances in 1931. In some sources, the five-year-old Dorothy Marie Harvey was said to have perished to natural causes, while others offer a much more sinister tale of her being raped and beaten to death by her uncle. Another version state she was killed by a piano dropped by the mover that her parents hired. In any case, her family built a dollhouse over her grave after she was buried since it was her favorite place to play (the original has had to be rebuilt several times due to vandals; it is now maintained by family members).
Prior to operating under the name “SOAARR,” the facility served as a rehabilitation camp for teenagers and adolescents struggling with substance abuse. Today, the site is abandoned and harbors an apparition who runs past the window. The identity of the spirit remains a mystery. Inside the building, visitors reported experiencing cold spots.
Currently abandoned and overrun with plant growth, the Jessie Creek Cemetery is located near the Circle Mountain and infamous Haunted Hill just outside Bartlesville, Oklahoma. It resides in an open field near a small defunct lawn-and-landscape business. Due to the obscuring vegetation, the cemetery is difficult to spot when driving past it. Those who do manage to visit report having technical problems with their digital cameras, possibly because of ethereal activity.
Room 201 of the Courtyard by Marriott in Anchorage, Alaska is haunted by a man who died there mysteriously, only to have his body be left undiscovered for several days. A spirit named “Ken” has been seen traversing the parking lot, courtyard, and near the gazebo. There is also the apparition of a cat that walks around the hotel, predominantly in Rooms 103 and 107.
Clark Middle School is believed to be haunted by the spirit of a woman wearing a white dress. Among her haunting activities are playing with the instruments in the band room, appearing in the empty halls during the summer months, and turning classroom lights on and off; she is considered a harmless spirit. A large number of teachers speak of a female ghost that floats through the floors, while others say there is no ghost at all.
The ghost of a young girl wearing an early 1900s white dress has been reported to walk through the Birch Hill Cemetery. A dark floating apparition and a little boy about seven or eight years old dressed in 1930s-era clothing have also been spotted.
Built as a mansion and later used as an orphanage, the Strawberry Hill Museum is now haunted by the spirits of the man and woman that originally lived in the house. The woman has appeared on two occasions: once walking down a church aisle (witnessed by two nuns at the alter) and the other time outside one of the museum’s windows when she asked where the priest’s house was.
The man has been seen only once, when a person visiting the museum’s third floor. Inside the closet was a man sitting, waving his hands in front of his face as if saying “Noooo!”.
As she ran down the stairs screaming, the man tapped her shoulder the entire way. She later identified him as a man in an old photograph from the museum.
Kendrick Mansion features night surveillance in order to keep living trespassers away. However, the cameras have captured some ghostly intruders who roam the rooms and halls. When a police officer goes to investigate, the apparition disappears. However, the spirit remains on the camera even though the officer cannot see it.