Location: Portlock, Alaska, USA
County: Kenai Peninsula
Remains: Mine Tunnel, House Pilings, Rusted Cannery Equipment
Status: Still standing
Portlock, Alaska was named after Captain Nathaniel Portlock, a member of the Royal Navy, who landed in Alaska in August, 1787. However, Spain and Russia owned the land all the way up until 1867, when the United States purchased it.
In 1921, a US Post Office was opened in the town, which was primarily used as a cannery. Portlock also had chromite mining at the nearby mine. Later on, Chatham Bay (part of the town limits) became the site of a territorial boarding school for the children of parents who worked at fishing camps and mines. The town was abandoned quickly after a series of mysterious events and deaths in 1949. The post office shut down a year later.
Residents of the nearby towns of Seldovia, Nanwalek, and Port Graham are descendants of the families who lived in Portlock. Many believe that the town and Chrome are haunted. Nowadays, the town is only accessible via boat or bush-plane. The only building in operation is a remote fishing lodge. Remains of the town include house pilings, rusted cannery equipment, and mine tunnels.