STATUS: Still standing
Located at the end of an old dirt road in Frankford, Delaware is Long Cemetery (also known as Colonel Armwell Long Cemetery), the home of the notorious “Catman’s Grave.” Most of the graves are from the 19th century, though a few are from 1918. For some unknown reason, two graves in the back face in a different direction from all of the others in the cemetery.
Colonel Armwell Long (the cemetery’s namesake) had served in the Revolutionary War alongside General George Washington. Upon his death in 1834, he was buried beside his wife, son, and other relatives in the family plot. He was cited as the first official burial at the site. The land belonged to the Layton family, who turned it into a public cemetery in Long’s memory.
The Catman – nicknamed for his feline-esque features – was the former caretaker who resided near the cemetery. He spent most of his time chasing off the thrill-seeking teenagers who came to the cemetery to party. When he passed away, he was placed in an above-ground crypt. However, he continued his caretaker duties into the afterlife. Visitors reported seeing cat-like scratches inside of the crypt.
At the family’s request, the crypt was torn down in 1994 due to the excess amount of vandalism. The Catman, along with the four other people who resided in the crypt, were reburied in the cemetery.
The Catman continues to haunt the cemetery today. Urban legend states that if you knock upon the brick wall in the back of Long Cemetery three times, the Catman will be summoned and he will cause your car to stall or fail.
- Forgotten USA. “Catman’s Grave Yard,” www.ForgottenUSA.com
- Haunted Places. “Long Cemetery – Catman’s Grave,” www.HauntedPlaces.org
- Paranormal Stories. “Catman’s Grave,” www.ParanormalStories.blogspot.com
- The Scare Chamber. “Catman’s Grave,” www.TheScareChamber.com
- Strange USA. “View Locations,” www.StrangeUSA.com
- Theresa’s Haunted History of the Tri- State. “Catman’s Grave, Delaware,” www.TheresasHauntedHistoryOfTheTriState.blogspot.com
- Have a personal experience here? Tell us about it!
- Have more information about this haunt? Send it to us here!
- Have an image you want to submit? Let us know!
HELP SUPPORT GHOSTLY WORLD
For just $1.00 (or more), you can help us keep Ghostly World operating. Your support allows us to provide our content online for readers across the world. Thank you for helping Ghostly World!