Insane Asylum: Dorea Asylum

Location: Franklin, Quebec, Canada
Built: Unknown
Operation Time: ? – 1995
Type: Not Kirkbride Plan
Status: Still standing

History

Lying only 600 feet from the border leading into the United States is the Dorea Insane Asylum of Franklin, Quebec, Canada. According to a former patient, the asylum contained an electric chair used to execute patients that were thought of as “unmanageable”. Labyrinths of tunnels located beneath the facility that lead to Lake Placid are said to be part of Dorea.

Dr. Ewan Cameron (possible spelled Ewen Cameron), who lived near the lake, was infamous for his Nazi-like experimentation on patients, testing new drugs and procedures on the helpless and innocent lives of those who came to Dorea seeking help. Many children, oftentimes orphans, were forced to live in the institution even if they lacked mental health conditions.

Dorea is one of the many defunct mental hospitals that is attached to many mysteries involving the abusive treatment of its patients. Dr. Ewan Cameron himself was a neurotic psychopath, and would perform lobotomies on his patients, sometimes for the fun of it or to feel powerful over his helpless victims who did not have a say in the matter. Cameron is believed to have dabbled in mind control.

Many people claim that Dr. Cameron was never even at Dorea; this is most likely false due to strong records that tie him to the building. Those who visit the asylum today claim they can feel the pain and suffering of what happened within the walls of the asylum, stating that they know about it just through the energy emitted from those who don’t want to or can’t leave the place.

Most insane asylums and orphanages that closed down in the 1990s have literally become “time capsules”; all of the furniture has remained the same, equipment is unmoved, and everything is left as if the owners abandoned the location abruptly. Dorea is one of the few exceptions, as all items have been removed, most likely as a way to cover up the dark happenings at the hospital.

Out of the fifteen buildings that are part of the Dorea Asylum, there are four that are hidden in the forest. A church used to be on the hospital grounds, but it was demolished for unknown reasons. Subject to conspiracy, it is theorized that Dr. Cameron wanted to destroy the building since he did such evil deeds that he did not want such a good place near him.

The four buildings in the woods are locked up for unknown reasons, and they have remained untouched. Historians believe that something sinister is hidden inside, such as documentation of what happened inside the asylum. It is unknown why no one has attempted to investigate this mysterious institute further.

Sources

Advertisements

27 Comments Add yours

1. ndgrags says:

Quite possibly one of the most frightening places in North America.
    I can only imagine the “energy” of a place like that. Well written.

1. Must be oppressive there…like you’re being watched. Thanks for your compliments! 😉

Ghostly World
      Email At: ghostlyworldblog@gmail.com

2. Awesome! :O Just got chills while reading this!

1. Haha. Thanks. I love causing chills.

Ghostly World

Email At: ghostlyworldblog@gmail.com

7. Thank you. 😛

8. You’re welcome. :T

Ghostly World
        Email At: ghostlyworldblog@gmail.com

9. 😛 LOL

3. Dorea Asylum was ranked #1 on the Home Page!

4. Dorea Asylum has been #1 for three weeks in a row!

5. Lyss says:

Possibly going there a 5th time tonight. I recommend going there during the winter, since most of the basements are flooded and I don’t think it would be too safe during warmer seasons with all the mold and all. This place definetley has a vibe upon entering, even walking up to the main building you feel watched, it’s a pretty creepy place but totally worth going. We found documents of a patient admitted in 1992 for dementia. We found these documents in the building behind the barn, it’s not too safe. The whole roof has collapsed on one half of the building. Anyways, definetly worth going.

1. Nice! Mold and asbestos seem to plague these old buildings. It’s a shame that neglect ruins these bits of history. I’m really glad that you shared your experience. I’m so jealous. I’d love to go to Dorea. If you’d like, you can get a picture of it and send it to ghostlyworldblog@gmail.com and I can post it. Anyways, it is on my list of “haunted places I really want to see”. Have a great time!

Ghostly World
      Email At: ghostlyworldblog@gmail.com

1. Lyss says:

I will!

2. Alright! Thanks!

Ghostly World
        Email At: ghostlyworldblog@gmail.com

3. Hi Lyss,

I was wondering if you were ever able to get some pictures of the Dorea Insane Asylum. If you have please let me know because I’d be interested in using them for Ghostly World if that is alright with you.

Ghostly World
        Email At: ghostlyworldblog@gmail.com

2. Samantha says:

I heard their is a security guard who walks the grounds with a riffle, ? I wanted to visit, but I don’t want to get shot to visit it.

1. I’m not sure if there is or not. It would make sense, but I can’t give a definitive yes or no. I think you need to get permission to go on the premises.

Ghostly World
        Email At: ghostlyworldblog@gmail.com

2. otto says:

Hi I went there at the beginning of last summer and got into two buildings with my girlfriend but we went when the sun was down my car is black so I was able to get on the site undetected and saw the person your speaking of he is a caretaker of the site he lives in a trailer on the site near the school he is kinda special keep caution he only realized we were there when I started my black car at night so I was invisible where I was and when I started my car the lightswent on he got scared and went running I was laughing so hard almost peed my pants, well thats my story but do have caution.

6. otto says:

I find it sick that government and hospitals and of most the church abused these kids into thinking their insaine and above most the control of people. It really makes you think about the government today, now knowing this I have lost faith and hope of the greater system of today. I was a regular voter for this stupid province of quebec and now I promiss never to vote again the only thing that I will concentrate on is my own familly and forget the rest due to all this deception of our great province which is not so great and I recommend to people to not come here let this province die for all the crap they have done, besides this place is not worth the effort of anyone who is honest and has heart, die quebec die.

7. June Carter says:

The funny part is I live close to the asylum, I know lots of the story but I have never been in it. Many of my friend want to go, but I won’t even take a step in. I didn’t know the history till now. Thank you for telling me this.

1. No problem! Ghostly World’s goal is to educate people about the true history of haunted places around the world. Thanks for visiting, June!

Ghostly World
      Email At: ghostlyworldblog@gmail.com

8. Hey there, I am the writer of “Dorea Institute” where you sourced some of your information from. I just wanted to correct a mention in this post… the chuched had burned down and was not destroyed. I would love the opportunity to collaborate with you more on Dorea… it’s such an enigma!