Location: Lancashire, England, Europe
Status: Open as a tourist destination
The Samlesbury Hall was built in 1325 by Gilbert de Southworth, and it was the main home of the Southworth family until the early 15th century. It is rumored that the hall was built to replace an earlier building destroyed by a Scottish raid in 1322. The hall, over the years, has served a number of purposes, such as a public house and a girls boarding school. It has been a tourist attraction since 1925, though, when it was saved from being demolished for its timber. It is believed to be haunted by the ghost of Lady Dorothy Southworth and other members of the Southworth family.
In Popular Culture
The hall was featured on Most Haunted, Most Haunted Live, and Ghost Hunters International (“Castle of the Damned”).