STATUS: Still standing
The Shanghai Tunnels were used for kidnapping drunk men in the bar above to have them work on boats (this practice was known as “Shanghaing”). Women were kidnapped and used as prostitutes. The kidnappings provided almost slave-like conditions.
The tunnels are considered some of the most infamous places in Oregon. One of the spirits in the tunnels is that of a Native American girl named Nina who was forced into slavery and prostitution. She was most likely killed by her kidnappers.
In Popular Culture
- The tunnels were featured in Most Terrifying Places in America 2.
- Forgotten USA. “Shanghai Tunnels,” www.ForgottenUSA.com
- Wikipedia. “Shanghai Tunnels,” www.Wikipedia.org
- Have a personal experience here? Tell us about it!
- Have more information about this haunt? Send it to us here!
- Have an image you want to submit? Let us know!
HELP SUPPORT GHOSTLY WORLD
For just $1.00 (or more), you can help us keep Ghostly World operating. Your support allows us to provide our content online for readers across the world. Thank you for helping Ghostly World!